Matt joined Sport Southland in July 2009, coming from a role of 4 years as Area Manager for Real Journeys – Stewart Island Division.
Matt has had previous experience in Outdoor Retailing and the Book and Stationery industries, including a stint as a Board member of Booksellers NZ.
He currently is studying for a Post-graduate Business Diploma through the Southern Institute of Technology.
Matt was very familiar with Sport Southland, prior to his employment here. He has had many years experience in local Event Management on a voluntary basis – being heavily involved in many local Events like the CToS Surf to City, Ascot Park Hotel Marathon, MLT Moonshine, ODW Women's Triathlon, as well organising many other adventure and multi-sport races.
Matt was also involved in the establishment of Sport Southland's Community Traffic Management Equipment Poll and is a qualified STMS.
Matt's role at Sport Southland includes:
· providing support for existing key Events,
· providing advice and assistance to outside event organisers
· further develop the existing Events programme.
· seek new opportunities to bring or develop large-scale Events of significant economic benefit to the region
· oversee Sport Southland's Traffic Management equipment pool
· oversee Sport Southland's Community Volunteer Programme (ASSET)
Matt and his partner Debbie share common interests in off-road running (including Kepler Challenge), multisport, tramping and canoe polo; as well as
supporting Matt's children's sporting activities.
Matt has three children, Stephanie (18), Duncan (15) and Malcolm (11)
<< Back to Staff